- Sakal India Foundation
- January 5, 2022
Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com) – Overview
If you are planning to pursue B.Com for your career, then it is a clever decision. It is one of the trending courses after class 12.
Before knowing about the career scope after B.Com! Let’s discuss what is Bachelor of Commerce?
B.Com is abbreviated as a Bachelor of Commerce, is a three-year UG degree course in commerce and related subjects recognized by the Universities Grants Commission (UGC). B.Com is designed in such a way that it provides students with a wide range of managerial skills and acquaintance in streams like finance, accounting, taxation and management.
Why B.Com Is Great For Your Career?
Here are a few top reasons why you should choose B.Com degree:
- Training in a wide range of Subjects.
- Greater employment opportunities across different sectors.
- Immense scope after this course.
- Lucrative job profiles and areas of employment.
- Higher salary package.
B.Com: Course Highlights
Here are the key highlights of B.Com course:
|B.Com Full-Form||Bachelor of Commerce|
|B.Com Course Level||Graduate|
|B.Com Course Duration||3 Years|
|B.Com Eligibility||12th Pass|
|B.Com Course Fee||Between ₹ 10,000 to ₹ 50,000|
|B.Com Examination Type||Semester Pattern|
|B.Com Admission||Admissions granted by the university based on 12th score. Direct admissions in private colleges.|
|B.Com Average Salary||Starting salary range of ₹ 10,000 to ₹ 25,000|
|B.Com Recruiting Companies||SBI, ICICI, HDFC, PwC, LIC, Bajaj Allianz, etc.|
B.Com Course Duration
B.com is one of the most pursued courses after the 12th. The duration of the B.Com degree undergraduate course is three years, divided into six semesters. Each year, you have to select a specialization.
B.Com Course Eligibility Criteria
Every student is not eligible to pursue this undergraduate course. You need to fulfil basic eligibility criteria to apply.
Let’s have a look at some main eligibility criteria for B.Com Degree:
- You need to have passed the 12th standard in the commerce stream.
- 12th standard pass out students, from any streams, may also apply based on the discretion university and college.
- Colleges have cut-off marks. It’s important to score more or equal to the cut-off marks to get admission into the desired college. Colleges generally reduce cut-off marks till seats get full.
- Private colleges can grant direct admission irrespective of the candidate percentage.
B.Com Admission Process
India has many top universities, but each of them has different admission procedures. The procedures are not too different from each other when it comes to admission for the B.Com. degree course.
The following is the common admission procedure for the B.Com course:
- After passing the 12th standard, you have to fill out the university forms available on the university website.
- Fill out the form and list out your preferred colleges.
- You have to attach a digital copy of your 12th standards mark sheet with the form and pay the fixed online fees.
- Based on your preferred colleges and the marks you got in the 12th class, you will be granted admission.
- Suppose you don’t get admission into the college of your choice you can wait till the university admission procedures are over and approach for direct admission.
A few universities may have a different admission procedure, but it will not differ much from the procedures mentioned above.
B.Com Course Fees
One of the main reasons “why many students choose B.Com” is that it is one of the most affordable courses after 12th class, which provides good career options. Today, most B.Com degree courses have a fee range from ₹ 10,000 to ₹ 50,000.
The fee structure may differ, but most colleges prefer you to pay a certain amount of fees each year.
B.Com syllabus in most universities is the same. The subjects will give you an idea of what to expect from this course, and prepare accordingly. These subjects are common throughout the three years. Other subjects and specializations get added on each year. The following are the subjects in the B.Com degree course:
- Company Law
- Banking & Financial systems
- Maths or Computer
- Business Communication
- Computer Applications and IT
- Environment and Public Health
- Second Language
- General Awareness 1&2
- Indian Economy
- Income Tax Laws
- Banking and Insurance
- Corporate Accounting – I
- Microeconomics – I
- Financial Markets & Institutions
- Overheads SPL
- Corporate Accounting – II
- Elements of Company Law – II
- Basics of Cost Accounting Labor
- Macroeconomics – II
- Managerial Communication
- Business Communication
- Marketing Management
- Indian Banking System & Central Banking
- Income Tax
- Cost Accounting
- Banking & Financial systems
- Marketing Management
- Mercantile Law – II
- Marketing Management
- Advance Accounting Paper 2
- B.Com. Indirect Taxes Paper 2
- Contemporary Indian Economics Issue & Policies
Salary After B.Com Course in India
Many factors decide your salary after graduating from B.Com. – factors like the company you land a job in, industry, the economic situation in the country, additional courses and certifications, and further studies.
A B.Com graduate can expect a starting salary in the range of ₹ 10,000 to ₹ 25,000. Promotions, increments, and job changes will only improve your salary figures.
List of B.Com Specializations
During your three years of education in B.Com, you can choose specializations. These specializations are the deciding factors for your future career.
Here are the B.Com. Specializations:
- B.Com. in Law
- B.Com. in Accounts & Finance
- B.Com. in Economics
- B.Com. in Marketing
- B.Com. in Tourism & Travel Management
- B.Com. Honours
- B.Com. in Banking & Insurance
- B.Com. in Taxation
- B.Com. in Humans Resources
- B.Com. in Financial Management
B.Com Scope in India
B.Com degree course is one of the most popular undergrad courses in India. There is a lot of career scope after the B.Com course. Commerce is the most important industry in the country. It is one of the highest contributors to the economy. As the economy grows, the commerce industry also grows along with careers in this field. Therefore, a B.Com has a lot of scopes and will set you up for an excellent career.
Career or Jobs Opportunities after B.Com Degree
Before deciding to pursue B.Com, you must know which jobs and career options are suitable for you. That will help you decide the subjects and specializations to choose and further motivate you to do well in your course.
Here are a few top career or jobs opportunities after b.com degree:
- Accountants: After specialising in accounting subjects, you can become an accountant and land a good job in a big company. Numerous companies are in constant need of good accountants, and they also pay well.
- Banker: Many students from the commerce stream aim for banking jobs. These are some of the most comfortable jobs that have excellent pay and benefits. The job security in Banking jobs is also considered very good.
- Office Administrators: Office administrators are the ones in charge of running an office. They have many important roles and responsibilities. They are in charge of managing the petty cash and the bank accounts.
- Marketing Executives: B.Com graduates know the basics of management, branding, services, finance, accounting, and marketing, and they do well in marketing. Marketing jobs also come with additional bonuses like sales commissions.
- Insurance Brokers: Insurance is one of the fastest-growing industries in the country. B.Com graduates find stable careers in the Insurance industry because Insurance brokers have good earning potential.
How to Choose Top B.Com Colleges?
Choose the right college to get the most out of your B.Com course.
That will result in you getting a high-quality education and opportunities to make a successful career. We have listed out some parameters that will help you choose the top B.Com college.
Here are a few parameters you should consider wile choosing the good B.Com College in India:
- Affiliations: Find out which college is affiliated with the university. If the university is government approved and reputable, you can be confident that the college has maintained a certain standard. Also, look for affiliations to other institutions and organisations repute.
- Reputation: Top colleges quickly gain reputation due to their standards, and they become famous. You will not have to work hard to check the reputation of any college.
- Faculty: One of the most important parameters to judge a college by the quality of its faculty. The syllabus of B.Com is diversified, and if it is not taught by good teachers then what’s the point. Faculty details are always present on the college’s website.
- Reviews & Ratings: Many honest educational portals provide accurate reviews and ratings. You can check those out and contact alumni networks to get their opinion on the college.
- Placements: Best colleges tend to have the best companies for campus placements. Many colleges give 100% placements, but you have to decide which company is suitable for your career that comes for campus placement.
Top Companies Hiring B.Com Graduates
Companies also become a big motivating factor for students to choose B.Com.
Here are the top companies hiring B.Com graduates in India:
ICICI, HDFC, PwC, LIC, SBI, etc.
Benefits of Pursuing B.Com Course
Here are a few top benefits of choosing B.Com degree:
- Professional Course: The B.Com course is a professional course aimed at allowing students to start their careers immediately after graduation. All the subjects and specializations are related to business and industry.
- Stepping Stone for Higher Education: The most significant reason “why students choose B.Com” is that they can use the knowledge gained in this course for their higher education. MBA, PGDM, MMS, CA, and CS are some of the postgraduate courses for B.Com graduates.
- Many options for Jobs: Commerce is a vital part of every industry. The B.Com graduates can find a job anywhere in any industry of their choice.
- Entrepreneurship Prospects: In this course, candidates learn everything about creating a new business. Many graduates take the plunge into entrepreneurship after finishing their B.Com course.
- Financial Security: B.Com. graduates get decent starting pay and other opportunities to earn more. Their job is also quite secure in most industries, so the factor of financial security is considered to be a huge benefit.
Difference Between B.Com and B.Com (Hons)
B.Com (Hons) is a popular form of B.Com. But there are a few fundamental differences between the two courses. B.Com has more general subjects whereas B.Com (Hons) has a wider choice of specialised subjects. B.Com is more commerce and job-oriented, whereas a B.Com (Hons) is more business-oriented.
Both degrees are equally good for students pursuing higher education. B.Com is more suited to MBA and PGDM, while a B.Com (Hons) is suited for CA and CS. Students can consider both these degrees for excellent careers.
Required Skills for B.Com Course
There are a few skills required to do well in B.Com. They will help you excel in the course.
Here are the required skills for B.Com degree you need:
- Communication Skills: Communication skills are significant because during the course, and in your career, you will be working with many people.
- Accounting Skills: Accounting is an important subject in the B.Com course. It plays a big role in the marks you score, your career, and your salary.
- Presentation Skills: In this modern world, the B.Com course will be complemented by the level of your presentation skills. You will be presenting assignments in your course and even in your career.
- Management Skills: Most of the B.Com graduates go on to become managers in their careers. If you have excellent management skills, you can go far in your career.
- General Knowledge & Awareness: A B.Com student needs to have a good understanding of the economy, and current affairs, as this knowledge is tested in the B.Com course.
B.Com is the right course to pursue if you want to work in the ever-growing commerce industry of the country. So many career options you can pursue through this course, and most of these careers come with good salaries and benefits. But the most important thing is to do the B.Com course at the right college. Invest some time in searching good college and get on the fast track for a prosperous career.
Are You Looking For Interest-Free Loan Scholarship to Study Abroad?
Sakal India Foundation has been working for Student welfare, Educational Aid, and Mentoring for almost seven decades. Interest-Free Loan Scholarship is the main initiative of SIF to encourage students to pursue high-quality higher education abroad.
SIF offer an interest-free loan for students who plan to study abroad. The vision was to provide small loans to deserving students who have performed well academically. Applicants from all over India and their strict screening by the select committee of our trustees & experts have maintained high standards in selecting deserving candidates.
Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are planning to study abroad and have any queries related to the Interest-Free Loan.