- Sakal India Foundation
- October 10, 2021
B.Sc. Data Science: What is it About?
Nowadays, big multinational firms all over the world are scrutinizing professionals with specialized knowledge in the field of Data Science.
Data Sci. is the area of study that integrate domain knowledge, programming know-how, and a good understanding of statistics to derive meaningful data.
B.Sc. Data Science is one of the most contemporary studies giving a handsome salary and career security in various parts of the world. The curriculum encompasses the study of Artificial Intelligence, Business Analytics, Statistics, Big Data Analytics and related aspects to understand the set of real-world data.
Data Science is in demand of every big company, and probably that’s why you have come here to know more about this course. In this blog, we are covering eligibility criteria, fees, career, scope, syllabus etc.
B.Sc. Data Science Course: Objective
The foremost objective of this program is to provide both technical and practical knowledge in this multidisciplinary field of Data Science that solves many problems occurring in different areas by conducting data-driven investigations by managing and visualizing all types of data.
B.Sc. Data Science: Course Highlights
B.Sc. in Data Science is rapidly building its demand among IT students. Apart from creating vast future career scope, this trendy program gives access to numerous advantages.
B.Sc. Data Science is a 3-year full-time program that comes under the domains of Computer Science, Business Analytics and Artificial Intelligence.
Admission to this course usually is based on merit and performance in the university level Common Entrance Tests. The minimum eligibility required is the Class-12 completion with the Science stream.
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Science in Data Science|
|Course Duration||3 Years|
|Eligibility||10+2 with science stream from a recognized board|
|Course Fee||Between ₹ 50-100K per year|
|Examination Type||College or University-based Exams | National and State Level Common Entrance Test (CET)|
|Admission Process||Merit-Based or Direct|
|Average Salary After Degree||₹ 5-7 LPA|
|Recruiting Companies After Degree||Accenture, Quantium Analytics, Walmart Labs, AT Kearney, Microsoft, JP Morgan Chase, Kotak Mahindra, Deloitte, Barclays, KPMG, Amazon, CRISIL, Google, Microsoft and more.|
B.Sc. Data Science Course: Duration
The duration of the B.Sc. Data Science Course is for three years.
Each academic year is divided into two semesters. Each semester is six months long.
B.Sc. Data Science Course: Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria to take admissions for B.Sc. Data Science are:
- Students must have completed class 12 with the science stream. If a student has pursued Computer Sci. as the specialization subject, it will be an added advantage.
- The student should have secured a minimum of 50% marks in aggregate from an acknowledged university.
B.Sc. Data Science Course: Admission
Admission criteria for B.Sc. Data Science programs vary by the type of entrance exams you have applied for and the institute accepted admission exams.
- Most of the institutes provide admission based on the score earned in the National or State level common entrance test followed by written tests and personal interviews to evaluate candidates’ abilities and aptitude level.
- Some private universities also conduct their university-based examination for admission.
- Some of the universities provide direct admission based on merit scores and management quotas.
B.Sc. Data Science Course: Fees
B.Sc. Data Science program fees depend upon the following factors:
- The type of college (Government/ Deemed / Private).
- Amenities provided by the college.
- Affiliations & accreditations.
- Scholarship schemes & placement facilities.
But usually, the B.Sc. Data Science program fees range between ₹ 50-100K per year.
B.Sc. Data Science Course: Syllabus
B.Sc. Data Science program is an integrated domain of science. It comprises major disciplines such as Computer Science, Mathematics, Artificial Intelligence and Analytics. The syllabus for this specialized course is mostly similar in all the colleges, but it can slightly show variation in elective subjects and practical sessions.
Here are some of the core subjects present in the BSc Data Science curriculum:
- Programming in Python
- Data Visualization
- Machine Learning
- Data structure and Program Design Using C
- Basics of computer science
- Discrete Mathematics
- Data Warehousing and Multidimensional Modelling
- Cloud Computing
- Programming in R Lab
- Probability and Inferential Statistics
- Computer Organization and Architecture and more.
Average Salary Range After B.Sc. Data Science Program in India
Today Data Scientists are high in demand. Aspirants with a BSc Data Science degree are finding exciting opportunities to work overseas with highly paid packages. The average salary of a B.Sc. Data Science graduate starts from ₹ 3.3 LPA, and with time and experience, it may rise to ₹ 20 LPA.
Scope of B.Sc. Data Science Degree in India
Data Scientist is one of the gravitating career options of the decade. So, preferring to build a career as a Data Scientist will reward you with a wide scope in the present and future scenarios.
Some major Sectors BSc Data Science graduates can opt to work:
- Banking & Finance
Jobs Opportunities After Bsc Data Science Degree
Technology and creative skills are the absolute combinations that are transitioning us towards a new world of Data Science. Today, tech-savvy people across the globe have stepped into the digital age that has given rise to the massive demand for BSc Data Science aspirants.
Here are a few top job opportunities in India for BSc data science graduates:
- Data Mining Engineer
- Machine Learning Engineer
- Data Engineer / Data Architect
- Data Scientist
- Data Solutions Analyst
- Business Intelligence Analysts
How to Choose Top BSc Data Science College In India?
Be wise to choose a college providing access to all the standard and mandatory facilities like:
- Approvals and Accreditation
- Experience faculty and staff
- Good learning infrastructure
- Strong placement support
Top Employers Hiring BSc Data Science Graduates
In this digital world, top MNCs offer job profiles with handsome salaries, job satisfaction and extra benefits.
Big companies like Wipro Ltd., Oracle, Accenture, IBM, Amazon etc., are paying exceptionally well for BSc Data Science Graduates.
Why You Should Choose BSc Data Science Course?
If you are genuinely enthusiastic about pursuing Data Science and its various aspects, then B.Sc. Data Science is an ideal program for you.
- Skillset and Knowledge: If you are already good at programming & you like Computer Science, then it is very much likely for you to get attracted to Data Science. For the tech-savvy students, it will be easier to absorb all the skills required to study, analyze & predict solutions across various sectors.
- Huge Demand: Data Science is one of the most popular jobs across the world in terms of future scope and stable career.
- Handsome Salary: The average salary of a Data Scientist is around ₹ 8.1 LPA, and with time, it can go up to ₹ 20 LPA within 5-10 years with ample experience. Companies like Amazon, Deloitte, Publicis Sapient, Cognizant, and others provide a good percentage hike for professionals in the Data Science domain.
Required Skills for BSc Data Science Course
Data Science professionals are experts who act as the building block within any company. The principal reason for Data Science’s excellent future is its high-end demand due to pacing digitalization.
Here are a few top skills required to have a degree in B.Sc. Data Science:
- Having an undergraduate degree in computer science would be an added advantage.
- Must know to run programs and software, such as Java, Python, Pig, Hadoop, SQL, and more.
- Should be well-versed with exploration, structuring analytics, and data management.
- Should hold good business intelligence and analytics skills.
- Good expertise in algorithms, mathematics and calculations.
- Should be skilled with Multivariable linear algebra and calculus.
- Must acquire the ability to interpret, wrangle and manipulate huge data.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Cloud computing and DevOps.
- Skilled in leadership, analytical and problem-solving skills.
Top BSc Data Science Colleges in India
Here is the list of the few top 10 B.Sc. Data Science Colleges in India:
|Sr. No||College Name||Location|
|1||P.S.G College of Technology (PSGCT)||Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu|
|2||Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IITM)||Chennai, Tamil Nadu|
|3||Amity University||Kolkata, West Bengal|
|4||Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology||Chennai, Tamil Nadu|
|5||GITAM||Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh|
|6||Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research (SRIHER)||Chennai, Tamil Nadu|
|7||Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies (NMIMS)||Mumbai, Maharashtra|
|8||Jain University (JU)||Bangalore, Karnataka|
|9||Galgotias University – (GU)||Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh|
|10||Loyola Academy Degree and PG College||Secunderabad, Telangana|
Data Science Books and Study Material
Here are some of the best books to be an expert in Data Science course:
|Sr. No||Recommended Books||Author|
|1||Practical Statistics for Data Scientists||Peter Bruce & Andrew Bruce|
|2||Introduction to Probability||Joseph K. Blitzstein & Jessica Hwang|
|3||Introduction to Machine Learning with Python: A Guide for Data Scientists||Andreas C. Müller & Sarah Guido|
|4||Python for Data Analysis||Wes McKinney|
|5||Python Data Science Handbook||Jake VanderPlas|
|6||R for Data Science||Hadley Wickham & Garret Grolemund|
|7||Understanding Machine Learning: From Theory to Algorithms||Shai Shalev-Shwartz & Shai Ben-David|
|8||Deep Learning||Ian Goodfellow, Yoshua Bengio, & Aaron Courville|
|9||Mining of Massive Datasets||Jure Leskovec, Anand Rajaraman, & Jeff Ullman|
|10||The Elements of Statistical Learning — Data Mining, Inference, and Prediction||Trevor Hastie, Robert Tibshirani, & Jerome Friedman|
Websites Making College Search Easier for Indian Students
For many Data Science aspirants, it becomes very difficult to choose the right institute for B.Sc. Data Science program. We have listed above some famous institutes which are providing this course. But you have to consider all the parameters to select the best institute for you. So we have listed some portals that are working in the Education sector to give you an idea about every institute.
Here are a few top college search portal companies that will help you in making the right choice for this program:
6. Careers 360
7. Target Study
BSc Data Science: Related FAQs
Q1: Can a B.Sc. Student go for Data Science Course?
Students who have passed the 12th standard majorly in the science stream are eligible to pursue B.Sc. Data Science Course.
Q2: Can I Study Data Science after B.Sc.?
If you have done B.Sc. in computer science, it will be an added advantage to pursue the Data Science program.
Q3: How is the B.Sc. Data Science Course Good for Placement?
The B.Sc. Data Science program will give you a path to various good and high paying jobs. This profession is flourishing in many sectors. So B.Sc. Data Science program will be facilitating excellent placement opportunities.
Q4: Is Data Science is a Good Career after B.Sc. Statistics?
Indeed. If you hold a degree of B.Sc. in Statistics, it can give you a kick start to your career in Data Science.
Q5: Is B.Sc. Data Science Easy?
Pursuing B.Sc. in Data Science is not that easy. As, it covers core concepts and principles of Business Intelligence, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning. But, it is not impossible to complete your degree. With true dedication and hard work, you can become an expert in Data Science!
Career Development Scholarship for B.Sc. Data Science UG Students
In 1984 Sakal India Foundation began Career Development Scholarship (CDS) scheme for meritorious students to encourage them to complete their higher education. Under CDS, we continue the Scholarship until the completion of higher education. We are also encouraging our CDS students to pursue B.Sc. in Data Science for a stable career.